[Thankful for the above: my mom and brother came out to visit me in NYC last week]
This Thanksgiving, I’m truly thankful. I’m thankful for those of you who read these blog posts, consistently or not. I’m thankful that some of my posts (especially from The Serious) have benefited these same readers. Aside from this website, I’m thankful for my family (immediate and extended), friends (and acquaintances), and the support that they give me. I’m also grateful for a great many more things this serious in nature…and for a lot of things that aren’t so serious.
So without further ado, here’s a small sampling of the random things I’m thankful for:
Random Things I’m Thankful For
- The fact that we eat turkey instead of chicken on Thanksgiving. (I mean, can you imagine? So many things already taste like chicken, which we already have so often, that it would just take the holiday down a notch. Though if we ate duck…)
- Memes on social media. (a.k.a. humor in a bottle)
- Chinese restaurants with Chinese sounding names. (If it doesn’t have “Wok” or “Empire” or some Chinese Symbol in the title, you might not want to eat it.)
- Crazy people. (They reaffirm my sanity…)
- People who don’t start decorating for Christmas or singing Christmas songs until after Thanksgiving. (I’m sorry, but doing this any earlier just seems wrong)
- Google. (At this point, our society is dependent on the search engine…especially students)
- International food. (If every American only ate “American food,” we’d all be dead by fifty.)
- Pizza. (Just think about how different our world would be without the delicacy)
- The Carmichael Show. (One of my go-to stress relievers.)
- Inhalers. (Without them, I’d be dead. I’m not kidding.)
- People from the South who are in the North during winter. (Being from Minnesota, I can’t help but laugh when they complain about the “freezing” thirty-six degrees in the morning. Please, that’s just the middle of fall.)
- Honest Trailers – my go-to for movie reviews.
- Logic and NF. (Rappers whose songs build people up and/or help them push through challenges instead of placing perverse negativity in their listeners’ minds.)
- Sports. (I don’t know how I’d live in a world without basketball.)
- People who actually read entire bullet point lists. 🙂
There’s a lot more I’m thankful for, but you get the gist. I’ll save the others for next year.
But before you carry on with the holiday, I want to challenge you to be thankful in your daily life, not just on Thanksgiving. Aside from the holiday season (though sometimes even in it) this is very difficult to do. More than just trying to acknowledge what we’re thankful for, even on rough days, there are times when we simply don’t even want to be thankful. But being optimistic will never be as easy as being pessimistic, and if we want to stay looking up then it’s important we acknowledge that the sky/things worth being thankful for truly exist.
So try taking the time to acknowledge at least one thing your thankful for on a daily basis. It can be serious or random (like the list above), but it should be truthful. Doing this could change your daily outlook, and changing your daily outlook could change your life.
Have a wonderful Thanksgiving.
Until next time.
Like this post? Subscribe to receive The Random news, updates, and notifications sent directly to your email.
If you haven’t already, go follow me on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, and Pinterest!